Saturday, December 20, 2008

Holding Pattern

Rusty had his first appointment with the neuroligist yesterday and we left without a clear answer as to what is going on. The doctor has scheduled Rusty for several more tests. He had to give eleven vials of blood and will go in for an angio CT scan on Tuesday and a spinal MRI on Wednesday. She may also do a spinal tap to try and confirm the occurance of demyelination which is caused by MS.

She did tell us that the symptoms Rusty has experienced are not MS related and are more consistant of blood clots getting through to his brain, which is why he is having a CT scan. The lesions are also not typical in the sense that they are only on one side of his brain but he does have one in the white brain matter that is typical of MS. We basically are still in the "it could be MS or it might not be" stage. Even though they do tests to try to rule out or confirm MS they are not 100% and if the spinal tap comes back normal there is still a 5% chance that he has MS.

Dr. Taylor encouraged us that if Rusty does have MS he can still have a very normal life and going to Liberia is not out of the question. She said that she would put him on a medication that has very little side affect and could keep MS symptoms away or minimal for several years.

I am more optimistic after this appointment then before. God is good and will take care of Rusty no matter the prognosis. I have realized something about myself through this, it would be easier for me if it was my health in question. There is just so much out of my control and knowledge. I am finding it much harder to deal with the emotions that come from watching my husband go through this then if I had to have the tests myself.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Praying for you guys!

Becka said...

We are praying for you- and our church is as well.

Anonymous said...

Did he already try the "Vitamin D" thing? Is it possible the lesions were there before?
Anna